Thursday 29 August 2013

Day 11. Chester to Clun.


Alice and our friends, Claire and Eug, had to leave fairly early to get back to Cambridge by lunchtime. It had been really great to see them all, especially my wife, and was very grateful to Claire and Eug for suggesting and then coming all the way to the other side of the country to see me! I decided that I would wait at the Campsite for the breakfast cafĂ© to open – I wasn’t disappointed, the fried breakfast I had was absolutely delicious, especially the black pudding!

 I was ready to set off by 10am, and the sun was beating down strongly. The first 10 miles or so were mostly flat, but once Wrexham was past, the road got quite hilly in places, which was hard work, especially in the hot sun. Shortly after lunch the sun went in to hide for the rest of the day, and whilst it didn’t rain, it became quite cool as the wind rose from the south. The hills got bigger and harder as the day progressed and as I spent the day repeatedly crossing from England to Wales, and back again.

I took a detour from my planned route in the mid afternoon as I was feeling really tired and a bit sick of the windy roads that ultimately weren’t getting me any further south. I decided to join an A road. For about 10 miles I cycled along a duel carriageway, which was actually completely fine as there was a wide cycle/hard shoulder. The traffic was heavy though and after 10 miles my nerves were getting shredded. I stopped at a service station and topped up on fizzy drinks, thinking I would need the sugar to get me through what I thought was going to be more intense miles. Whilst at the service station I chatted to a guy who was sat outside waiting for his wife, as my nerves were shredded I think I spent much of the conversation swearing and being negative – to the extent that the guy pointed out that I didn’t sound like I was having fun! I tried to counter that with how it had been a great experience, but ultimately I think that I was starting to feel the effects of being on the road continuously. Seeing Alice leave that morning had made me realise how much I had missed her, and our quiet life back home. I was still glad I was doing the trip, as it was something I’d wanted to do for a very long time, but I was equally looking forward to it being done with! Not sure if it was just me, but I felt that each time I crossed into Wales that the quality of the driving got worse...bent road signs indicate that I might be right...


Back on the road and expecting more busyness, but thankfully the road got both more narrow (single lanes) and quieter too – bonus! Welshpool wasn’t far away, and the road was flat too. I arrived at Welshpool needing more supplies and headed into Morrison’s. I was outside refuelling on a chicken baguette when some very dodgy and shifty looking individuals arrived close by – one was clearly a drug dealer, surrounded by his entourage of sycophantic cronies. They were standing right next to my bike, and I was conscious of the few valuable possessions I had potentially going missing to fund their lifestyle – as a result I kept a close eye on them, but not too close as the leader of the pack was particularly shifty and kept making eye contact, trying to suss me out. Luckily they soon left without incident (or my possessions) but I was reminded that my normally liberal attitude towards drug use is through the rose tinted glasses of my own teenage experimentation, and not necessarily the experience of many, many people up and down the country.

Safely back on the road by 5pm I headed south east towards a village called Church Stoke – the rolling countryside was really lovely again, and the sun came out again briefly too. I reached a place called Bishop’s castle and carried on towards a village called Clun. I had planned to reach Knighton by nightfall, but hadn’t counted on the road to Clun being really hard work! I found myself really struggling with the gradient, and needed to take regular breaks to rest and catch my breath – I don’t think I’d faced gradients this tough since the north of Scotland, and had forgotten how much fun they are – my legs were feeling strong, but I was still glad to reach the top and then glide down to the village.

The time was getting on, it was almost 8pm by this point, and the light wasn’t too great. I saw a local man putting his ducks to bed for the night in their coop. I asked him what the road was like to Knighton and he said that it was about a mile straight up, then half a mile flat, then another mile straight up – much like the road I’d just completed – I didn’t fancy carrying on too much further as the light was quickly fading. Thankfully the man said I could camp where we stood, on the village green – a beautiful spot, close to the remains of the village hall/castle and right next to a small stream – perfect!

As usual it didn’t take long to set up camp, and just as I was finishing, the man from earlier reappeared with a kettle full of boiling water for me to cook with – just perfect! Small gestures like that make a huge difference at the end of a long day, and really saved time too! Again, we stood chatting for quite a while – mostly about the local area, and a trip he had taken a decade ago to Everest basecamp in the Himalaya.

These random conversations I had with people were really great, people really open up and share something of their own lives and I always felt very lucky that people were willing to chat with me, a complete stranger – I suppose that it can be easier to chat to someone unknown to yourself at times, and certainly people disclosed sensitive and personal information to me, but then my livelihood no doubt has something to do with this too. I really enjoyed the conversations I had with everyone I spoke to, and I think that my natural curiosity about people and their stories was able to come to the fore much more than in my day to day life, but then, traveling on your own does open you up to chatting with people you might not approach otherwise. Each of the conversations I had with complete strangers was a highlight of the trip though, and I can honestly say that the single best thing about the trip was having my faith in the kindness of strangers renewed.

Camp all set up and dinner eaten it was more or less time to get some sleep. Whilst the village of Clun was another highlight of the trip, there was one downside to the location – I had absolutely no mobile phone reception, and the phone box up the road was disconnected – and so this night was the only night I wasn’t able to contact and speak to Alice L



No comments:

Post a Comment