Wednesday 4 September 2013

Day 17. Lanivet to Land’s End.


The final day was here at last. We set off to return me to the point I stopped at on Monday after a good breakfast. The bike loaded onto the roof of the car and we set off for Lanivet. The hills on the way were pretty big and I was raring to go!

Dropped off at Lanivet, a few photos taken, and I was ready to begin. I headed off away from the car, back the way I had come previously, feeling strong and really positive about the day ahead. Turning off the main road, I headed towards Tremore and Inches, along narrow lanes with typical Cornish high hedges. The lack of roadsigns didn’t seem to as much of an issue as before, I was feeling rested and as such my decision making seemed to be a bit better, along with the fact that there isn’t too much variation from traveling due west. I passed through lovely little villages, climbing hills with far more ease than previously, my knee really feeling the benefit of having had a rest day. It also helped that for this day, the final day, I wasn’t carrying my panniers, and the bike felt lively and responsive and I was able to make good progress.

I joined the A39 for a few miles, down to St Columb Major, and then took another minor road/lane almost all the way into Newquay. The lanes were especially fun, without the weight of all my kit I was really enjoying swooshing down into village and hamlets, past farms, and then climbing up onto ridges again – this must be what it’s like for most cyclists, traveling with a support crew must make the journey much more relaxing and easy on the body!

South of Perranporth I joined the A3075, a fairly quick road, but not too busy either. The cycling was mostly easy, with only one steep climb at Rejerrah. I was now pretty close to Truro itself, just a few miles away to the south, I was tempted to call in and get some lunch with Alice, as a surprise, but instead pressed on towards Three Burrows and then a lovely, long descent to Blackwater. Freed of all my luggage made a huge difference, I no longer dreaded losing too much height on the downhill’s, knowing that the inevitable upcoming hills wouldn’t be so bad.

I stopped for lunch on the outskirts of Redruth, quickly inhaling a sandwich and flapjack. The weather had cooled considerably over the morning, with the wind rising too, and I soon felt cold once I’d stopped. Redruth and Camborne weren’t especially picturesque, and seemed to be one larger conurbation, with lots of out of town shopping areas and car sales rooms. Past Camborne and the road steadily rose again towards Roseworthy, but dropped again down to Hayle and St Erth. I followed the road south towards Marizion, along tree lined lanes. I was conscious that I was quickly running out of road, the end fast approaching. I was excited, eager to reach the end, and as I rolled over the last hill and down into Marizion with view of the sea and of St Michael’s mount just a short way across the bay, it actually hit me that I had very nearly cycled the entire length of the UK.

I followed a cycle path from Marizion along the sea to Penzance. The cycle path was really rocky and gravelly, which was great fun. As I bumped along the path, picking out the least rocky route I was reminded of just how good my tyres are. I passed someone with a flat tyre, offered to help but was waved on – they obviously had it under control. I hadn’t had a single puncture in over 1000 miles of sometimes poor roads, gravel paths and thorny, overgrown footpaths (Monmouthshire) – pretty amazing. If anyone reading is thinking of doing something similar, then you really can’t get better than Schwalbe marathon tyres!

At Penzance I text Alice to say I would likely be finished in about an hour. West of Penzance, the hills again rose upwards, undulating along for the final 10 miles. I was working my way up one of the last hills at Catchall when I heard a car beeping madly at me – then alongside me Alice and her parents swept past in their car! Great! I was nearly there and as they disappeared around the next corner I felt a huge wave of adrenaline and euphoria wash over me! I stamped down on my pedals, grinding out a big gear and propelled myself along the final few miles at more than 25mph, sometimes reaching more than 30+mph. With just two miles to go I slowed down to try and soak up the experience and emotions I was feeling as I neared the end of my trip. I stopped for a few minutes, caught my breath, text Alice to say I was almost there, and had a good look around at the scenery.

I had always wanted to do something like this trip, and during my twenties I had had my heart set on walking the distance. That was unrealistic due to time constraints and I never did do it. However since getting into cycling I had fantasized about doing a longer tour. It was at land’s End the previous summer that I finally said I was going to do it, feeling inspired by the scenery and finality of the land ending and ocean stretching out ahead…

I swept down over the low hill from Sennan and raced towards the finish line. There I could see a large home-made banner being held aloft by Alice’s folks and Alice standing to the side, filming my approach! I slowed down slightly and swept under the banner – that was it, almost, the trip done! I had finally finished. It had taken longer than I’d expected, and had been far, far harder than I’d expected too, but all the more rewarding for it! I posed for a few photos underneath the banner, enjoyed a glass of champagne and was presented with a finishers medal that Alice had ordered for me – a huge surprise, and really thoughtful of her!

All that was left for me to do was to cycle the final few metres down to the very end of the country, to have my photo taken at the official sign. I felt elated, but slightly numb too, there was a lot to take in and it hadn’t really sunk in, in fact it still hasn’t really. I suppose I expected to somehow feel different, like I’d been subtly but fundamentally changed, but I felt the same as before. My natural state is to downplay my emotions, and along with that goes the instinct to downplay my achievements too. I had massively enjoyed cycling the length of the UK. The scenery had been incredible – we really do like in a very diverse and beautiful landscape, but the greatest part of the trip for me was meeting so many friendly, welcoming and interesting people. I’ve said it before in this blog, but it’s worth restating – the kindness of strangers is by far and away the greatest thing I experienced on the trip! We all live our own lives, busy and stressful at times, and I think many people (myself included) often look negatively on strangers, quick to assume the worst and eager to avoid even the smallest of friendly gestures, such as making eye contact or even smiling, but this trip opened my eyes to the fact that there are many other people willing to share their time, experience and knowledge in conversation with complete strangers, and that, I think, is bloody marvellous!

Whilst the reason for doing the trip was personal, I did decide to raise some money for charity along the way. If you enjoyed reading my blog, then please sponsor me - https://www.justgiving.com/teams/RichardsJOGLE2013
Many thanks xx

So, what’s next? I really don’t know at the moment, but there will of course be something in the pipeline…watch this space and thanks for reading!





 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment